10 November 2015

El Totumo Mud Volcano

Ok so there's this 'mud volcano' about 45 minutes outside Cartagena. It's one of the things to do here and since the other was going to a crowded beach we decided on this. There's some local legend about how it used to be a real erupting volcano then a priest sprinkled holy water on it and it turned into a mud volcano. I have no idea what this thing is or how toxic it is but we went anyway. 


Once at the top it looks less like a volcano and more like a wooden box filled with concrete. Nevertheless we submerged ourselves. Weird thing is that you're completely buoyant. I literally 'stood' without touching the bottom or moving much for the fifteen minutes we were in there.


We just sat there and chatted but it was also possible to get a 'massage' from one of the local men. This basically invilved them rubbing up and down your legs, arms and stomach and somewhere innapropriate if you were lucky. Pass.


Since we couldn't get photos of ourselves descending the volcano, here are some other muddy humans.


I asked this family if they'd pose for a photo and they kindly agreed before skipping off down to the lake whilst all singing a song (in tune!). It was like the muddy Von Trapp family. 



At the lake a Colombian woman will come at you with a bucket to wash you off. Spaghetti O said no, and I just gave in and let her wash me. She was very thorough and touched me in all the naughty places. Not everyone's cup of tea I'm guessing but it only cost me $1.50 :P


Oh and if you want you can buy a coke bottle full of mud or a bag full of sand. It will only set you back $5 for a large one. The guy told me it was great for my skin but after developing orange patches following my dip in the 'volcano', I wasn't so convinced. 


Was it enjoyable? Not sure. Did it ruin my bathers? Pretty much. Was it a worthwhile experience? In a weird way I think so. 





1 comment:

  1. Haha @ muddy Von Trapps! Those children will be scarred, having seen their father's junk covered in mud like that.

    ReplyDelete