29 October 2015

Breakfest Colombia - Medellín

So I forgot to post about this but while I was in Medellin by myself I saw a poster for Breakfest (please note fest not fast). I've been suffering through a lot of Latin Music and as much as I love Enrique I was ready to hear some Australian and (sorry Latin America) decent music again. Endless bachata, Cumbia, salsa and merengue have been taking their toll.  

All I could see on the billboard was The Foals, Bag Raiders, Art Department and Tokimonsta but that was enough. I tracked down a venue and purchased my $50 ticket. 

Here's the actual lineup for the festival...


I didn't quite know what to expect since I didn't know who in Colombia could possibly like this kind of music since I'd never heard anything like it here. Well it turns out, not that many people. Haha. It was the quietest festival I've ever attended but it was also the coolest venue. In Parque Norte (North Park) in Medellin. 

Here's some pics of some of the chill out zones....






I saw some guys starting a grafitti wall. My intention was to return later to capture the finished product. I didn't, so please use your imagination. 


The park already had some rides but they decorated the bumper cars to look like the latest range of adidas sneakers.


They also had a huge slide and a trampoline. Imagine that in Australia?! People would clearly be dead and everything in sight destroyed. 



I tracked down a burger for dinner and while I was eating I overheard a guy ask his friends for a serviette. They didn't have one so I handed one over. Five minutes later I had a bunch of new Colombian friends. 


After food for some reason we decided it would be a great idea to go on a roller coaster. So off we go to line up. Everyone was super excited. Here we are waiting...


As I get to the end of the line I see a guy in a lab coat wearing a face mask. I thought it was a costume or something but then I realise people are dropping like flies from the queue. Next thing I hear is that they're breath testing people. A few of my friends go first and next minute they're out of the line. Next up my turn. I blow across the mouth piece thinking I've only had 2 beers I'm sure I'll be fine. As he's waiting for the result I ask what the limit is. Completely deadpan he replies 'zero', I laugh and my chances of riding a roller coaster are over. If you wanna do that to me Colombia, at least put a sign at the front of the queue! Breath test not required.

Anyway onto the alcohol situation, the festival was supported by Miller so I obviously had to drink Miller. At least it was only $2.50. Not like the time I attended Circo and had to pay almost $10 for a can of Emu Export. 

Redbull was only $4.50 so I thought why not, I'll have a redbull and vodka. I was then informed I could only buy vodka by the bottle. Ok. Later that night my new friends decide it's time to purchase a bottle of whisky. I agree. Off we go to purchase a bottle of Jameson's(!). They won't give us the glass bottle so we watch the bar tender pour it into a plastic drink bottle.


And here we are drinking whisky on the rocks. Haha.


Overall it was a great day although I embarrassed myself hugely when I thought Bag Raiders were Canadian (oops). And get this, I never once lined up for a toilet! Unbelievable. 















No comments:

Post a Comment